Monday, August 8, 2011

A Shutter and a Shelf - Part 2

I have finally finished my second project!!!

In June, I bought a shutter and a shelf when I went to yard sales with my sister-in-law. Tammy helped me get started on both of them while I was up in Pennsylvania, but then I was on my own...that's probably why it took me so long :)

I found this shelf for $2.


I didn't like the heart on it, so Tammy helped me remove it.


Then we had to add a piece of wood in order to brace it.


I sanded it...which seemed to take forever!


Then I painted the shelf white. I used a white paint that Clay already had (I forgot to take a picture while I was actually doing it).


I was going to distress it, but Clay really liked it just painted. I may still do it one day when he's not around :)

For the bar, I decided not to paint it. I sanded it down....


 ....and stained it with Rustoleum stain in sunbleached.


I chose this stain color because I am planning on hanging it in the kitchen where we also hung the brick mold. The brick mold is weathered and I thought this would match.


I think it turned out well. It's not a perfect match but they compliment each other.

Here is the finished product!


Now I just need to find some things to put on it :)


Linking up with:















Keeping It Simple


Tip Junkie handmade projects

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. great job Katie!!! Now a pic with items on the shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shelf! It is a lot like one I did for my daughter's apartment. She's thinking the same thing - what to put on it

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems there are a lot of us who dislike hearts...whose idea was it to put them on everything, anyway?? Your shelf looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, I like that you took the time to change it and get rid of the heart. Too cute for your look? I like white myself I have several furniture pieces white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! Thanks for linking it to Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job -- you'd never know it was the same shelf! I have several shelves with heart cut outs that I want to 're-use' -- you reminded me they are in the basement :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MUCH better!! It seems like every shelf at the Goodwill has hearts on it...I'm glad that phase is over. :)

    ReplyDelete