Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore

I made this dish a couple weeks ago, but I am just now getting it put on here. It's been busy around here :)

It is also from the Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook Bridal Edition. I really like this cookbook!


Here are the ingredients (of course, I changed some of them):

2 1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
Hot cooked fettuccine or linguine (optional)

First, cook chicken in a 12-inch skillet in hot oil about 15 minutes or until light brown, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken.

Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender.


  Return chicken to skillet. I actually just put the chicken in on this step because I cut my chicken into bite-size pieces. 

In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, salt, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Pour over chicken in skillet. 


Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. I did not need to cook it that long since I did not have big pieces of chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.

I then served it over whole wheat rotini, but you could use any pasta you liked. 


It turned out well. I'll be honest...it was not my favorite, but it was good. I guess it just depends on what you like!

1 comment:

  1. since your not a big Italian food lover I'm happy to see you try different things. It looks great & I bet it tasted great :>

    ReplyDelete